Nadia Vazirzadeh had only a bachelor’s degree in biology, zero knowledge of beer, when she started working on the quality control team at Golden Road Brewing, Los Angeles, California.
“I knew I wanted to do something the rest of my life that I loved,” she says. “I still had people trying to convince that, ‘Don’t you want to be a doctor? What’s beer really doing for anybody?’ I take pride in what I do in the beer industry. I think it’s really important. I really like what I do and this alone is really fulfilling to me.”
As part of her job to make sure that the brewery brings consistently great beer, her daily duties are:
- Check gravities
- Get yeast for new batches of beer
- Use the alcolyzer
- Conduct grist analysis
- Check IBUs
- Put together sensory tasting for staff
Nadia recommends reading about what you’re working with and reading about other breweries. “Everybody does something different,” she says. “Read. That’s really my main recommendation.”
Kettle size: 50 BBL.
Size and quantity of fermentation tanks: 16, 300-BBL fermenters, including some conversion tanks.
Size and quantity of bright tanks: 3, 200-BBL.
Annual brewing capacity/last year’s production: About 30,000 BBL in 2014.
Square footage: 32,000 sq. ft.
Years in operation: 3.5 years (founded 2011).
“I knew I wanted to do something the rest of my life that I loved.” [Tweet This]
From Pour & Beerded: How did you get yourself to make the leap to go all in or nothing? Especially if you quit a decent job…
- Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers (Brewing Elements) by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski.
- Malt: A Practical Guide from Field to Brewhouse (Brewing Elements) by John Mallett.
- For The Love of Hops: The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops (Brewing Elements) by Stan Hieronymus.
- Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation (Brewing Elements) by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff.
Check out the entire list of recommended books, click here.
An upcoming beer style:
- Heal The Bay IPA, Golden Road Brewing.
- Heal The Bay, a non-profit environmental group working to restore Santa Monica Bay.
- The Yeast Brink, Solemn Oath Brewery, Naperville, Illinois.
You can reach Nadia Vazirzadeh and Golden Road Brewing at:
“Fast, reliable, affordable, web hosting.”
Help keep MicroBrewr on the air. CLICK HERE for ways you can help.