If you’re like me, you don’t have a million dollars to start the brewery of your dreams. If you have brewing skills and can create recipes, contract brewing could be a way to create a product and establish a customer base with minimal initial investment. That’s how Jayne Lewis and Danielle Allen started Two Birds Brewing in Spotswood, Victoria, Australia.
Jayne and Danielle were longtime friends when they realized they each shared long-term life goals. Danielle had a background in marketing and sales, while Jayne had years of experience as a commercial brewer.
Nine months after they made the decision, they were working for themselves. For about 3 years Jayne brewed on dozens of other systems. Finally, about 9 months ago, they had increased their brand and their market enough to open their own package brewery.
Their whole business has been financed by themselves. So they don’t have outside investors.
Kettle size: 18 hL (15-BBL).
Size and quantity of fermentation tanks: 4, 36 hL (4, 30-BBL fermenters). 2, 72 hL (2, 60-BBL) due in June 2015.
Size and quantity of bright tanks: 36 hL (30-BBL). 72 hL (60-BBL) due in June 2015.
Annual brewing capacity/last year’s production:
Square footage: 460 sq. m. (4,951 sq. ft.).
Years in operation: The production brewery has been operating for 9 months (opened June 2014). The brand has been operating for 3 years and 9months (opened June 2011).
“You’ve gotta do what you have to do, in order to do what you want to do.” [Tweet This]
From Chris Tiffany: How do you preserve fresh hop character, especially aroma, when bottles may sit for a while before being enjoyed?
- Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition by Phil Markowski.
Check out the entire list of recommended books, click here.
An upcoming beer style:
- Pink Boots Society to empower women beer professionals to advance their careers in the beer industry through education.
- Pink Boots Society Australia on Facebook.
- International Women’s Collaboration Brew Day.
- MicroBrewr 002: Using a Flagship Beer To Build a Brand w/ Alamo Beer.
- MicroBrewr 015: Randal Denver’s advice for a homebrewer who wants to become a professional brewer.
You can reach Jayne Lewis and Two Birds Brewing at:
- Facebook: TwoBirdsBrewing
- Twitter: TwoBirdsBrewing
- Instagram: twobirdsbrewing
Jayne and Danielle on social media:
“Compare free quotes from top suppliers within 48 hours.”
Help keep MicroBrewr on the air. CLICK HERE for ways you can help.