Boulder City, Nevada is between Las Vegas and Hoover Dam. The city was formed to temporarily house workers during the dam’s construction in the 1930s. After the dam was complete, residents incorporated and formed a city. In 2007, Todd Cook opened Boulder Dam Brewing Co.
Today Boulder Dam Brewing provides craft beer in a wide variety of styles. Todd grew up a “military brat” who moved around a lot. In college, a friend had a constant supply of European beers. The offerings from Boulder Dam Brewing reflects this vast geographic influence.
Boulder Dam Brewing also participates heavily in fundraising efforts for disaster preparedness and veterans care.
Although Todd previously ran an advertising business with offices in 2 states, he says business experience isn’t necessary to opening a brewpub. The only restaurant experience he had was working at McDonald’s when he was 16. Instead, Todd learned from Running a Restaurant for Dummies and Guerilla Marketing.
Not too bad for coming up on Boulder Dam Brewing Co.’s “8th annibrewsary” in February 2015.
Some of Todd’s advice in this episode:
- It all depends on how bad you want it.
- Learn from your mistakes and get back on the saddle.
- Running a business requires a lot of time in the office.
- Get in front of your customers and talk to them to see what they like.
“I do for a living what I used to pay for.” [Tweet This]
From l.seber: What are the best classes to take to prepare for opening a brewpub?
- Running a Restaurant For Dummies by Michael Garvey.
- Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business by Jay Conrad Levinson.
Check out the entire list of recommended books, click here.
An upcoming beer style:
Session Dark Beer
- Wikipedia: Hoover Dam.
- Zombie Squad disaster and emergency preparedness.
- Veterans Care Assistance Program.
- Elysian Brewing Avatar Jasmine IPA.
You can reach Todd Cook and Boulder Dam Brewing Co. at:
- Facebook: boulder.brewing
- Twitter: BoulderDamBrew
- Instagram: boulderdambrew
Help keep MicroBrewr on the air. CLICK HERE for ways you can help.