Laura Ulrich is the small batch brewer at Stone Brewing Co. in Escondido, California. She has worked there for 11 years, after working in the bottling line at Odell Brewing Company in Fort Collins, Colorado.
“Twelve years ago,” says Laura, “There wasn’t a focus on having the degree in brewing.” She says she would have liked to take more science classes to understand the technical sides of brewing.
It doesn’t seem to be hindering her. She created the widely popular Stone Smoked Porter with Vanilla Bean.
Laura has worked on the bottling line, in the cellar, and finally in the brewhouse. “Everybody’s gotta work together to make the end product get to the public,” she says.
Kettle size: 2, 120-BBL brewing systems.
Size and quantity of fermentation tanks: 68, 400-BBL fermenters; 6, 150-BBL.
Size and quantity of bright tanks: 2, 150-BBL; one, 390-BBL; 5, 650-BBL; 4, 850-BBL.
Annual brewing capacity/last year’s production: Brewed 285,075 BBL in 2014.
Square footage: 55,000 sq. ft. brewery, with 65,000 sq. ft. packaging hall.
Years in operation: 18 years (opened August 1996).
“If you really want it, you can have it.” [Tweet This]
From John D.: What’s your least favorite style of beer?
- “I haven’t been reading books, I’m awful. I need to get back into it.”
Check out the entire list of recommended books, click here.
An upcoming beer style:
- We’re No Angels, New York Times Sunday Book Review, Kathryn Harrison, September 30, 2007.
- Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.
- Pink Boots Society to empower women beer professionals to advance their careers in the beer industry through education.
- MicroBrewr 015: Randal Denver’s advice for a homebrewer who wants to become a professional brewer, MicroBrewr, June 28, 2014.
- MicroBrewr 028: Repaving the way for women in craft beer, MicroBrewr, September 23, 2014.
- MicroBrewr 053: Pink Boots Society empowers women in beer, MicroBrewr, March 3, 2015.
You can reach Laura Ulrich and Stone Brewing Co. at:
Laura is on Twitter at:
Download a free audiobook.
Help keep MicroBrewr on the air. CLICK HERE for ways you can help.